Leasing Your Amenities

For those of you who may not know, you have a right to lease your amenities provided to you, under the Glebe Harbor – Cabin Point Association Inc., combined with the Glebe Harbor – Cabin Point Sanitary District. You will need to provide certain information to the Association, as well as give up any rights you have to use our amenities.

In other words, you cannot just lease the rights to use the pool to a third party and you retain the rights to use the boat ramps. It is all or nothing, if you lease your rights, you lease them all.

However, by leasing your amenities to a third party, they must follow the same rules, as well as covenant restrictions as the rest of our Community. For two years in a row, there has been violations of the Glebe Harbor Civic Association Covenants, concerning camping.

Not only is this a violation of our covenants for Glebe Harbor, (Number 10. No house trailers or other trailers used for residential purposes will be permitted or kept on any lot in this subdivision), but camping on your own property is also considered illegal, in Westmoreland County. Cabin Point also has this same restriction under number 11 of their covenants. (No house trailers or other trailers used for residential purposes will be permitted or kept on any lot in this subdivision)

If you have ever attended our general meetings, you will have heard our President of the GH-CP Association state that camping is not allowed in our communities via our covenants, as well as Westmoreland County Law. She suggested that we call the Westmoreland County Sheriffs Office and report the issue.

I would hope that someone from the Civic Associations would politely handle this type of issue, as it should be one of their duties to enforce our restrictive covenants. For those that may think “what’s the big deal”, there are several things that should be considered. If you allow this on one lot, then you must allow this on all lots. Do we really want to have campers, trailers and tents, popping up all over our communities?

As you can see from the picture below, (EDIT: THE PICTURE HAS BEEN REMOVED BY REQUEST OF THE PROPERTY OWNER), this fifth wheel camper has been set up, just as if were at any other campground and I am sure they have a spectacular view. For those that may say  “we are just parking it there for daytime use”, well, then it would fall back to our covenants and it is simple not allowed. We have rules for a reason and if they apply to one, then they must apply to all.

EDIT: 04/24/2019. 2:43pm. (This edit will make more sense after reading the comments concerning this post)

After speaking with Charles of the Westmoreland County Virginia Land Use Office, he informed me that camping, is in fact prohibited anywhere within Westmoreland County Virginia. Even if you park a motor-home/trailer in your driveway, you are still prohibited from sleeping in it over night. He also informed that many times, people will Google Westmoreland County, and they mistakenly call Westmoreland County Pennsylvania. They have no restrictions whatsoever, concerning camping on your own property in that state.

If anyone has any questions concerning camping, please call the Westmoreland County Virginia Land Use Office. Ask for Charles. He can be reached at 804-493-0120. Your Neighbor, Dana.

12 Comments

• Pam and Rick Dors April 23, 2019 at 1:57 pm

Mr Tucker, this is my camper. We do not live there, we do not lease the rights to use the amenities, (in fact in the 3 years we have been here, we have yet to use ANY of the amenities. We do however when we are there walk the beach and clean up any trash we see, EVERY time we come for a visit. We store the camper and when we travel the 3 hours it takes to mow, clean up the beach and otherwise keep our little peace of paradise as neat and tidy as possible we spend the night. Having said that, I have already spoken with the planning commission and several other members of the Westmoreland County government concerning the storing of our camper on our lot. If you drive around both Cabin Point and Glebe you will see no less than 10 campers as well. I also, 2 years ago got a letter from the association informing me of my violation of the county law, which is why and immediately when I went to the county to discuss the law. One of the “no-gos” is camping. They don’t want you to be using the “great outdoors” as your personal restroom. This is not the case here. In fact I have keys to several of my neighbors houses should I really feel the need to not use the facilities that are self contained within my camper. Which by the way is NOT a fifth wheel camper. So after all of that, I feel that if further explanation is required, please feel free to call me or my husband at EDIT: PHONE NUMBER REMOVED BY ADMIN. This is an invite to call from anyone who is concerned that I am “living”, “residing”, leasing or otherwise “camping” on my lot. It is just not the case. Let’s remember, there are MANY campers on many lots in our subdivision. It would seem that there are way bigger fish to fry within our little community than whether or not my camper lives on my lot or not. Please be sure to travel around and include pictures of any of the other campers as well. inciting the community doesn’t seem to be a fitting job description.

• Pam Dors April 23, 2019 at 2:37 pm

I left a lengthy comment, as this is my trailer. I wonder if Mr Tucker has decided not to post it?

• danatucker April 23, 2019 at 2:48 pm

I believe you have you answer. Sometimes it takes a few mins to stop and address comments on the website.

• danatucker April 23, 2019 at 2:39 pm

First off, I have no desire to incite anyone. I made the post to advise others who have asked about leasing their property to help offset the cost of our RUF. The beaches are considered amenities and the fact that you park it on your own property during the summer season, most would consider camping. I am sorry I called it a fifth wheel camper, instead of a pull behind camper. The fact remains that as a community, we were advised by the President of the Association that camping was illegal as well as prohibited according to our covenants, and residents should call the WC Sheriffs Office.

My main point was to have the Civic Association handle these types of situations as I thought it was a bit harsh to simply call the Sheriff. I have seen other campers as well as motor homes within our communities, but as far as I know, no one has theirs set up on a vacant lot, over looking the river during certain times of the year. I am quite sure that if someone pitched a tent on their vacant lot, they would probably be asked to remove it. They can carry their waste off as well.

• Pam Dors April 23, 2019 at 3:07 pm

I feel as though if the post was to be about leasing of property to offset the cost of the fees then discuss that. Not the fact that my camper is parked on my lot. Actually it is there most of the year. Not just the summer season. Yes the beaches are amenities and I do not use the “public” ones. You post felt very condemning and singular as there are no pictures of any other campers. And they did handle it. If you had asked you would have known. And just because it is there does not mean I am “camping” or residing in it. Once again a fact that could have been thrown out there first . And yes, there are in fact campers on other vacant lots. But vacant or not it doesn’t matter. Riverfront or not, it doesn’t matter. Summer, winter, spring or fall, it also doesn’t matter. You said, “We have rules for a reason and if they apply to one, then they must apply to all. ” I have seen, especially over the 4th of July, MANY campers in driveways with ppl staying in them with family or friends to enjoy the holiday weekend. If I am to be picked on because I have a riverfront lot and not an interior lot, and I only have the camper and not a house, and it is only from March to early December, then that is singling me out and perhaps causing unnecessary discomfort on my behalf. However if you quote mentioned above of the rule applying to all then it stands to reason there should be MANY more pictures here of other campers. Or perhaps mine should be removed… and the post should stay on topic as you say you intended it to be about leasing ones property.

• danatucker April 23, 2019 at 4:03 pm

With all do respect, I will leave the post as it is. If you would like me to, I will post the picture of the ITASCA Spirit Motor-home parked on your lot on October 12, 2018, when Michael came through and blew your tree down. As far as your trailer being there most of the time, myself as well as my wife drive our communities about three times a month. The last time we went through, we did not see the trailer. Maybe we just missed it.

• Pam Dors April 23, 2019 at 4:39 pm

You are correct, we had a different camper there last year. In June of 2017 when we bought the lot we brought the same other one down. It came home just after Thanksgiving 2017 for service. Then in 2018 we had some family crisis so we were only able to have the other one there from mid July I think until after Thanksgiving 2018. We ended up paying to have the lawn mowed and such for most of the year. The one there now is smaller and no motor. It arrived 5 weeks ago. So yes it was there in Oct for hurricane Michael. Actually we had a guy haul it off the lot for the actual hurricane and then bring it back as we were worried about the high winds. So for about 14 weeks it was here getting serviced and worked on (between December and February).

• danatucker April 23, 2019 at 4:55 pm

I want you to know that my post was not singeing you out. It has nothing to do with a river view or being surrounded by trees. I am going to seek advice from the County and just so you know, it is NOT to check up on your story about have permission. If residents can in fact park their campers/moter-homes/tents on their own property and not have to get any special permitting, then it should be posted so other residents will have the same option to do so. Now, two things. 1. I will remove your picture. 2. In the early spring of 2017, I met one of my neighbors due to them wanting to fill their 5 gal jug with water. They pitched a tent about 2 hundred yards from my home. My street is pretty deserted during the late fall, winter and early spring. Two hours later they came back and asked me if I called the law on them. I said no and they told me they had to remove their tent and leave their own property. I have never seen them again.

• Pam Dors April 24, 2019 at 2:08 pm

Thank you for removing my picture. I will be very interested in hearing what you learn from the county on the matter. Like I stated they told me so long as I was NOT living there they had no problems with me parking it. Additionally I had heard a lot was leased and a small “tent city” was erected over a holiday weekend and they were told they had to leave. But interestingly enough I was told by several officials as well as the property owner that with no “facilities” to be had and the need to cross the street at all hours to possibly use a neighbors facilities was what made it illegal. Thus had happened the summer of 2017 perhaps. Memorial Day weekend I think. At any rate like you stated what is law if it is to be applied to all.

Further, I believe the intent of the law is to prevent many ppl from using the river or the woods as a personal restroom and or causing a ruckus during all hours of the night and renting or leasing said trailers/tents and lots to whomever during the course of the summer season. I believe the county law also prohibits boats to be parked on lots of being used as residential dwelling. Horse trailers as well.

Please email me back the convo you have with the county after you have it. Thanks again, Dana.

• danatucker April 24, 2019 at 2:41 pm

If anyone has any questions concerning camping, please call the Westmoreland County Virginia Land Use Office. Ask for Charles. He can be reached at 804-493-0120. I am going to edit to your first comment post, and remove your phone number. Glebeharbor.com gets a lot of traffic and it may be picked up and sold to a scam list. Your Neighbor, Dana.

• Pam Dors April 24, 2019 at 6:30 pm

No, I actually spoke with Norm Resavi in person at a GH-CP meeting 2 summers ago. Which is where he explained all that I have mentioned previously. Thanks again for the removal of the photo and the phone number.

• danatucker April 24, 2019 at 8:04 pm

I asked Norm to read this post as well as the comments. He replied back with the following zoning ordnance for Westmoreland County.

Please see the attached information from our Zoning Ordinance:

2-17 Residential, Limited Uses District (R-2):

2-17.1 Purpose and Intent

These are low-density residential areas, plus certain open areas where similar development is planned; . The district is established to stabilize its residential character by permitting low concentration single family dwellings, as well as two family and multi-family dwellings under special exceptions, plus related uses such as schools, churches, parks and public facilities to serve residents of the district, but specifically excluding mobile homes, trailers, campers and tents

It seem as if this ordnance does in fact prohibit mobile homes, trailers, campers and tents from being used in residential neighborhoods. This was also verified by the Westmoreland County Land Use Office. At the very least, you may have gained more information then when we started. This is the last comment that will be posted concerning this particular post.

Let Your Voice Be Heard!